Friday, April 21, 2006



Rejection



Getting turned down on something doesn't feel so hot even if you don't think you have an attachment to the outcome, at least for me. My blog got rejected for a traffic exchange program because the sidebar is too far down the page. May have to do something about that. And then, too, I signed up for an online "book review" site. Judging from a look at what they had actually accepted, I figured, no problem, right? Apparently, there was a problem. They were basically looking for plot synopses, not reviews. They wanted two to three paragraphs of well written grammatical English, and they wanted you to give away most of the book's plot. Now I don't have a problem with the first part, except... you also had to do quite a bit of categorization of the plotlines, characters, etc (multiple choice) before you even got to write the description. For all this you got $2 apiece (if you did at least 20 but not more than 250 reviews of books which were not already in their system). So basically, you start to get the system down as far as the multiple choice options part goes and then you can't do it anymore. Also, finding 250 books not in the system to write about might be tricky. They figure the reviews take 5-7 minutes apiece. Well, perhaps they would if you were a fast typist (unlike me), knew the system backwards and forwards and had a firm grip on the specific details necessary for a successful synopsis. I'm sorry, but I don't like spoilers. RAFO. otherwise, read Reader's Digest or Cliff notes. So, anyway, I wasn't absolutely crushed that my review of Starplex by Robert J. Sawyer was turned down for being too vague in my synopsis of the middle of the book (but how do they know where the middle is, unless they've read a synopsis already, I wonder?), but still rejection doesn't feel so hot for me. Not that I was going through all that trouble for $2 mind you. I just wanted to get another couple of Rob's books on their page. Did I mention that I really like his science fiction? I do. I think it is the best I've read in a long time, combining good suspense and dialog with good science, speculation and plotting and as a not too shabby bonus he adds in to that mix a lot of moral, social and philosophical concepts and thoughts from a "bleeding heart liberal" Canadian perspective. Good stuff indeed. And he has won lots of awards for his novels, as well. If you haven't already checked him out, what are you waiting for. Christmas?






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home